Starting October 1, 2020 and ending September 30, 2021, the library is offering our community members the chance to participate in our Read Woke Challenge.
Read Woke, started by Georgia school librarian Cicely Lewis, is an online, self-paced reading challenge designed to encourage people of all ages to read books by and about people who are different from themselves - to experience voices from a variety and diversity of individuals. A Read Woke book is one that:
- Challenges a social norm
- Gives voice to the voiceless
- Provides information about a group that has been disenfranchised
- Seeks to challenge the status quo
- Has a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group
How the challenge works:
- Sign up through Beanstack
- Earn virtual badges by reading books in each of the categories, or checking out some of our suggested activities (see suggested titles and events here)
- Earn 5 badges to be entered in one of our quarterly drawings for a Read Woke t-shirt to proudly declare your committment to reading and learning about a world's worth of different voices
T-shirt drawings will take place in January, April, July, and October of 2021. Anyone who has completed their 5 badges in the three months prior will be entered in that quarter's drawing.