Interlibrary Loan is a service that we provide to patrons who are registered at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. If you are looking for a book that is not owned at any of the Southern Adirondack Library System Libraries, we will try to borrow a copy of the book from a library outside of the system.
To request an item that is not owned within the local system, stop by the reference or information desk, or phone 518-584-7860, option 4 (or ext. 304). Reference librarians will assist with the Interlibrary Loan process. You may also submit an online interlibrary loan request.
Materials that may be requested are books and journal articles in accordance with copyright laws. Most libraries will not lend recent publications, reference, textbooks, genealogy, and A-V items. If a library charges a fee for loan or copies, the patron will be notified beforehand. Materials are due on or before the date stamped on the card. Loan periods are set by the lending library, although a book may be recalled at any time.
As defined from our Library Accounts and Circulation of Library Material policy.
- Individual cardholders who live within the SALS service area may also request materials from libraries outside of SALS/MVLS via interlibrary loan. Other borrowers will be referred to their home system. Individuals with new library cards may be restricted to in-library use.
- Lending libraries determine loan periods and item limitations, which may differ from Saratoga Springs Public Library policies.
- The library attempts to obtain material from other libraries for free whenever possible. However, fees charged by other libraries for this service must be paid by the borrower.
- Patrons are limited to six simultaneous Interlibrary Loan requests.
- Frequent borrowers or requests for multiple items may be referred to the Central Library for the Southern Adirondack Library System.
- Saratoga Springs Public Library is ultimately responsible for the soundness and security of materials borrowed from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan and our ability to continue borrowing through ILL is jeopardized if materials are not returned by the due date, in the same condition they were received. A patron’s ILL privileges, or even Saratoga Springs Public Library’s privileges, may be suspended or limited if a patron damages or loses items, does not pick up ILL holds or consistently returns items past the due date.
- Patrons will be charged a replacement cost for all lost or irreparably damaged ILL items.
Institutions outside the Capital District Library Council (CDLC) area may request an item owned by SSPL by using an ALA form, which may be mailed or faxed (518-584-7866); online via OCLC, or by emailing the library’s Interlibrary Loan Office, including the information of a standard ALA form within the body of the email.
|Interlibrary Loan Office:
|Interlibrary Loan Office • 49 Henry Street • Saratoga Springs, NY • 12866-3224