Guidelines for using your library card:
- Bring your card each time you visit
- Report a lost or stolen card at once
- Inform us of changes to the following:
- Phone Number
- Email Address (if provided)
Your library’s policies are designed to ensure that materials are returned on time, and in good condition for use by as many people as possible. Please ask library staff for help if you if you need any additional information.
A Saratoga Springs Public Library card can be used at any member library of the Southern Adirondack Library (SALS) and Mohawk Valley Library (MVLS) Systems, subject to each individual member library’s policies. Similarly, any library card from a member library may also be used at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. Certain allowances or restrictions may apply depending on your library card. To obtain a library card, you will need to fill out an application online or in-person and show a form of government issued identification.
What is needed to get a library card?
Become a Patron - Information for New Borrowers
- Fill out a library card application form (en Español) (print at home or get one at the library) - or fill out an online form (some restrictions apply).
- Identification must be presented when you pick up your physical card at the library.
- It may take several business days for a new registration to be completed. Once complete, the borrowing limit could increase to 50 items.
- Your library card may be used to borrow on the day it is issued to you.
What are the item borrowing limits?
- District Resident Cardholders (those residing within the Saratoga Springs City School District): 50 items per card
- Cardholders residing within the SALS/MVLS service area: 50 items per card
- Three-for-Me Cardholders: 3 items per card
- Cardholders residing outside of the SALS/MVLS service area: 3 items per card
How long can items be borrowed?
|Material Type||Length of Loan|
|Most Books and Children’s Books||28 Days|
|New and Popular Books, Magazines||14 Days|
|Music CDs||14 Days|
|DVD / BluRay Discs: Children and Adult||14 Days|
|Museum Passes||7 Days|
|Children’s Audiobooks||28 Days|
How can items be requested? Can items be borrowed for longer?
You may request renewals of your library materials either online, in person at the Circulation Desk, at the self-service check-out kiosks, or by phone. An item cannot be renewed if another patron has placed a hold on it. We are unable to renew items through our online chat.
Reserves, or hold requests, can be placed online, or with librarians at the Information, Reference, or Children’s Room desks. Hold requests for certain material types may be restricted.
Are there any fines or fees?
Fines and Charges
- Borrowers will be charged for the replacement cost of lost items. Materials are considered lost when overdue for 30 days.
- Borrowers become delinquent when 5 or more items are overdue or when the total charges on the account reach at or above $50.00.
- Delinquent status prevents further borrowing.
- Excessively delinquent accounts may be referred to a collection agency.
- The cost to replace a lost library card is $1.00.
- The library no longer charges daily overdue fines or fees.
Library Card Application Form - English (In English) If not taking advantage of the online application form, this document is to be completed, printed, and provided to the library.
Solicitud para conseguir la tarjeta de la biblioteca - En Español (En Español) If not taking advantage of the online application form, this document is to be completed, printed, and provided to the library.