Interlibrary Loan is a service that we provide to patrons who are registered at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. If you are looking for a book that is not owned at any of the Southern Adirondack Library System Libraries, we will try to borrow a copy of the book from a library outside of the system.
To request an item that is not owned within the local system, stop by the reference or information desk, or phone 518-584-7860, option 4 (or ext. 304). Reference librarians will assist with the Interlibrary Loan process. You may also submit an online request by using one of the forms listed below.
Materials that may be requested are books and journal articles in accordance with copyright laws. Most libraries will not lend recent publications, reference, textbooks, genealogy, and A-V items. If a library charges a fee for loan or copies, the patron will be notified beforehand. Materials are due on or before the date stamped on the card. Loan periods are set by the lending library, although a book may be recalled at any time.
- How much does it cost?
- If the lending library charges for a loan, the cost is passed on to the borrower. Libraries in SALS/CDLC do not charge. Some libraries outside the capital district may charge $10 - $20.00 for a loan.
- How long does it take?
- Our goal is to obtain materials as quickly and efficiently as possible. Materials are sent by UPS, courier, first class mail, and book rate. Times vary. Check with the interlibrary loan librarian at the time of the request.
- How do I submit an interlibrary loan request?
- In person at the library, fill out a request card. They are located at the Reference and Information Desks. You may phone in a request, send an email to email@example.com, or submit an online request form.
- How long is the loan period?
- The loan period is determined by the lending library. For most books, it is 4 weeks, with no renewals.
- May I place a request over the phone, and what is the number?
- Yes, you may phone the reference desk librarian. The phone number is 518-584-7860 x304.
- How do I know when my item has arrived?
- You will be notified by the same method you usually get notices about holds and overdue items--either by email or by letter.
- If I need assistance with an interlibrary loan question, which phone number should I call?
- Please call the Interlibrary Loan office at 518-584-7860. The extension is 241.
For more information regarding material requests, please see our "Requests FAQ".
Institutions outside the Capital District Library Council (CDLC) area may request an item owned by SSPL by using an ALA form, which may be mailed or faxed (518-584-7866); online via OCLC, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the information of a standard ALA form within the body of the email.
SSPL's online catalog may be accessed through the website at www.sspl.org.
|Reference Desk:||518-584-7860 x304|
|Interlibrary Loan Office:||518-584-7860 ext 241|
|Postal Mail:||Interlibrary Loan Office • 49 Henry Street • Saratoga Springs, NY • 12866-3224|