About the Library
The library is chartered to serve the residents of the Saratoga Springs Enlarged City School District (pop. 45,663). It is governed by a five-member board elected by district residents. Funds to operate the library come primarily from school district property taxes, and district residents must vote upon increases in local tax support.
The current 58,626 square foot building, which opened in 1995, is located on 1.92 acres in downtown Saratoga Springs one block east of Broadway between Henry and Putnam Streets.
Our Mission to You
The mission of the Saratoga Springs Public Library is to inform, to inspire, and to entertain. It must provide access to the universe of knowledge through a variety of materials, programs, and services. As a publicly supported institution, the library should make primary services available without charge. Special emphasis should be given to areas of local interest.
The mission of the library implies that the Library's primary goal is to provide information resources that foster personal, family and community growth for the residents of the Saratoga Springs City School District. One corollary involves the creation of programs and services specific to the residents and businesses in the community.
Some Library Facts:
- Total Holdings: Over 220,000 items. About 180,000 books and magazines with over 35,000 non-print items. 25,520 items were added in 2016.
- Staff: 107 people, 59 full time equivalents.
- Volunteers: Approximately 45 volunteers donated around 2,700 hours of their time in various capacities for the library in 2016.
- Total Loans: 849,417 items were borrowed in 2016.
- Reference Questions: More than 58,000 questions were handled at our librarian service desks in 2016.
- Registered Borrowers: 46,183
- Library Programs: More than 33,500 people attended over 1,800 library programs for all ages in 2016.
- Public Meeting Room Use: There were 973 meetings of area nonprofit groups in our three library meeting rooms in 2016.
- Visits To The Library: There were nearly 472,000 visits from people to the library in 2016.
- Public Computing: More than 111,000 people used library computers and wireless services in 2016.
About Our Building
|Area: 58,626 square feet
Site: 1.92 acres
Parking: 80 spaces
- Interior Design:
- Richard R. Butler & Associates, Mechanicville, NY
- Architecture Plus - Troy, NY
- The LA Group - Saratoga Springs, NY
- Phillips Associates - Saratoga Springs, NY
- Office Furniture:
- Albany Office Interiors - Albany, NY
- Konover Construction - West Hartford, CT
- Mazone Plumbing & Heating - Delmar, NY
- DiGesare Mechanical - Schenectady, NY
- Schenectady Electric - Schenectady, NY
- Library Furniture:
- Hodkinson Associates - Briar Hill Court, NJ
- $7.5 million from School District Bond issue, approved by voters in December of 1991. Remaining funds from a variety of sources. Total project cost - $7.9 million.
- Library Interiors, Inc. - Point Pleasant, NJ
Many custom pieces of furniture were made by local cabinetmaker Hal Bigelow of Quaker Springs, NY.
- Groundbreaking: September 1993
- Opening: August 1995
- Dedication: October 1995