About the Library
The library is chartered to serve the residents of the Saratoga Springs Enlarged City School District (pop. 45,663). It is governed by a five-member board elected by district residents. Funds to operate the library come primarily from school district property taxes, and district residents must vote upon increases in local tax support.
The current 58,626 square foot building, which opened in 1995, is located on 1.92 acres in downtown Saratoga Springs one block east of Broadway between Henry and Putnam Streets.
Our Mission to You
The mission of the Saratoga Springs Public Library is to inform, to inspire, and to entertain. It must provide access to the universe of knowledge through a variety of materials, programs, and services. As a publicly supported institution, the library should make primary services available without charge. Special emphasis should be given to areas of local interest.
The mission of the library implies that the Library's primary goal is to provide information resources that foster personal, family and community growth for the residents of the Saratoga Springs City School District. One corollary involves the creation of programs and services specific to the residents and businesses in the community.
Some Library Facts:
- Total Holdings: Approximately 223,559 items. About 190,000 of these are books and over 30,000 are nonprint items.
- Staff: 104 people, 59 full time equivalents.
- Volunteers: Approximately 50 volunteers donated around 2,200 hours of their time at the Information Desk, local history room, computer training center, Teen Room, and in other ways in 2014.
- Total Loans: 914,839 items were loaned in 2015.
- Reference Questions: About 65,353 questions were handled at our reference desks in 2015.
- Registered Borrowers: 48,106
- Library Programs: About 28,685 people attended over 1,700 library programs in 2014.
- Public Meeting Room Use: There were 957 meetings of area nonprofit groups in our three library meeting rooms in 2014.
- Visits To The Library: About 478,613 people visited the library in 2015.
- Public Computing: About 171,341 people used library computers and wireless services in 2015.
About Our Building
|Area: 58,626 square feet
Site: 1.92 acres
Parking: 80 spaces
- Interior Design:
- Richard R. Butler & Associates, Mechanicville, NY
- Architecture Plus - Troy, NY
- The LA Group - Saratoga Springs, NY
- Phillips Associates - Saratoga Springs, NY
- Office Furniture:
- Albany Office Interiors - Albany, NY
- Konover Construction - West Hartford, CT
- Mazone Plumbing & Heating - Delmar, NY
- DiGesare Mechanical - Schenectady, NY
- Schenectady Electric - Schenectady, NY
- Library Furniture:
- Hodkinson Associates - Briar Hill Court, NJ
- $7.5 million from School District Bond issue, approved by voters in December of 1991. Remaining funds from a variety of sources. Total project cost - $7.9 million.
- Library Interiors, Inc. - Point Pleasant, NJ
Many custom pieces of furniture were made by local cabinetmaker Hal Bigelow of Quaker Springs, NY.
- Groundbreaking: September 1993
- Opening: August 1995
- Dedication: October 1995