About the Library
The library is chartered to serve the residents of the Saratoga Springs Enlarged City School District (pop. 45,663). It is governed by a five-member board elected by district residents. Funds to operate the library come primarily from school district property taxes, and district residents must vote upon increases in local tax support.
The current 58,626 square foot building, which opened in 1995, is located on 1.92 acres in downtown Saratoga Springs one block east of Broadway between Henry and Putnam Streets.
Saratoga Springs Public Library is a source for information, inspiration, and entertainment, which sustains and enhances the quality of life in our community by providing access to resources and experiences to help all of our residents satisfy their curiosity about the world and participate fully in civil society.
At Saratoga Springs Public Library, we envision a sustainable community where individuals are appreciated for their uniqueness; our community is celebrated for its distinctiveness; and all our residents enjoy an exceptional quality of life because they are well-informed, civically engaged, and intellectually satisfied.
At Saratoga Springs Public Library, supporting independent learners is at the heart of all we do. We strive to foster a healthy democracy, be a responsible steward of resources, and be of service to one another and to every member of our community. We take pride in being a safe and welcoming place, where all are treated with dignity, respect, fairness, and compassion. We operate sustainably and transparently, and are excited by new ideas. We honor our traditional role of providing access to the written word, while embracing innovation in the delivery of services.
Some Library Facts:
- Total Holdings: Over 220,000 items. About 180,000 books and magazines with over 35,000 non-print items. 25,520 items were added in 2016.
- Staff: 107 people, 59 full time equivalents.
- Volunteers: Approximately 45 volunteers donated around 2,700 hours of their time in various capacities for the library in 2016.
- Total Loans: 849,417 items were borrowed in 2016.
- Reference Questions: More than 58,000 questions were handled at our librarian service desks in 2016.
- Registered Borrowers: 46,183
- Library Programs: More than 33,500 people attended over 1,800 library programs for all ages in 2016.
- Public Meeting Room Use: There were 973 meetings of area nonprofit groups in our three library meeting rooms in 2016.
- Visits To The Library: There were nearly 472,000 visits from people to the library in 2016.
- Public Computing: More than 111,000 people used library computers and wireless services in 2016.
About Our Building
|Area: 58,626 square feet
Site: 1.92 acres
Parking: 80 spaces
Many custom pieces of furniture were made by local cabinetmaker Hal Bigelow of Quaker Springs, NY.
- Groundbreaking: September 1993
- Opening: August 1995
- Dedication: October 1995