1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Growing Strong Readers: 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
This free program encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters school. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills providing a solid foundation for school and learning success. Plus, sharing stories together is fun!
If you, or someone you know, might be interested in this program - please reach out to us to answer any questions. We'd be extremely happy to have future readers join us on this journey!
It is easy to participate!
How the "Growing Strong Readers: 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten" Program Works
The program is designed for families and caregivers with children from birth through age 6 or before entering Kindergarten.
Sign up in the Children's Room or in Beanstack online. You will receive a welcome bag with a folder containing information and book suggestions.
You can keep track of the books read online with Beanstack and your child can color in a symbol on the printed journal paper provided in the folder. Please note: You need to log your books on Beanstack to redeem the prizes for your child.
Record each book read. Repetition is good, so you may record a favorite book more than once.
Each time you have finished reading 100 books, you will be prompted in Beanstack to come to the library. Your child can then place a sticker on the board in the Treehouse Room.
Your child will also receive:
- At 100 books read - a pencil, eraser, sticker and a certificate
- At 200 books read - a puzzle, a coloring sheet, sticker and a certificate
- At 300 books read - a set of mini crayons, sticker and a certificate
- At 400 books read - a bouncing ball, a coloring sheet, sticker and a certificate
- At 500 books read - a finger puppet, sticker and a certificate
- At 600 books read - mini bubbles, a coloring sheet, sticker and a certificate
- At 700 books read - a mini notebook, sticker and a certificate
- At 800 books read - a plastic tumbler, a coloring sheet, sticker and a certificate
- At 900 books read - a bookplate placed with their name in their Favorite book at the library (kept in the library collection), a sticker and a certificate
- At 1000 books read - a book to keep, their picture taken and hung in the Treehouse Room, a stuffed “I love to read” dog, and an award certificate.
After finishing 1,000 Books, you are finished with the program.
You may read books from anywhere: the library, from home, a doctor's office, preschool, etc. You may also count books read at Storytime programs at the library.
Don't be daunted! Just 3 books a day amounts to 1,095 books in 1 year, and this program is designed to give you time over a few years to meet your goal.
Please continue to read together. Visit the library often and discover the wonderful variety of books to check out and read together.
Our goal is to introduce a fun method for families and caregivers to read aloud to their children, promote pre-literacy so children enter school ready to learn, encourage regular library use, and instill a love of reading!