Fiscal Responsibility Policy
Public office is not be used for personal gain, and Board members and Director are to
remain objective in their duties and responsive to the needs of the public they serve. Accordingly, the Director and
Board members must maintain the highest commitment to their responsibilities as stewards of the Library.
All district funds are defined as “Public Funds." This includes, but is not limited to,
all sums actually received in cash or negotiable instruments from all sources, whether or not the money has ever been
deposited into a Library account. Any money controlled by the Library, including gifts, fines, fees and all funds received
from any source, are considered “public funds” and are governed by this policy.
Personal Use of District Funds:
Neither the Director nor any Board member will use or permit the use of
Library funds, vehicles, equipment, telephones, materials or property for their own personal benefit or profit. Neither
the Director nor a Board member will ask or require a Library employee to perform services for the personal benefit or
profit of a Board member or the Director. The Director and all Board members will safeguard Library property, equipment,
moneys and assets against unauthorized use or removal, as well as from loss due to criminal act or breach of trust.
Segregation of Fiscal Duties and Internal Controls
- No one person should control or perform all key aspects of a transaction or financial event. Segregation of duties
is an important internal control activity that helps detect errors in a timely manner and deters improper activities.
Internal controls instituted by the Library will assist the board in maintaining adequate fiscal oversight of the
expenditure of funds.
- The adequacy of these guidelines and our compliance efforts should be reviewed after each audit and as otherwise
needed. Procedures shall be modified to correct any deficiencies discovered during regular audits or at any other time.
- All Library employees, the Director and Board members are bound by this policy.
- Any alleged violation of this policy by Library staff shall be investigated by the Director. If actual violation is
determined, the Director shall impose sanction appropriate to the degree of violation, up to and including
termination. Any employee impacted by an action under this policy may appeal to the Board, as allowed by the
library’s general employee handbook.
- Any alleged violation of this policy by the Director shall be investigated by the Board, or by a committee appointed
by the Board for this purpose. If actual violation is determined, the Board shall impose sanction appropriate to the
degree of violation, up to and including termination.
- Any alleged violation by a Board member shall be investigated by the remaining Board members. If actual violation is
determined, the Board may impose sanction as warranted, up to and including requesting the resignation of the Board
- The Library reserves the option of reporting any significant violation of this policy to appropriate law enforcement
agencies for investigation and possible prosecution.
Approved July 14, 2014